Tuesday, April 26, 2016

No Way to Save

Problem

Sometimes Excel acts like Snapchat.

Snapchat doesn't save files or updates like other social networks. Recently Excel has been acting rather similar. I don't know if it is some weird program envy or if my employer is trying to just keep me at work longer so I can' t shut down, but it has proven to be a problem.

The problem started when I was working on a worksheet with a large data set and many linked equations. It was sucking up processing power and it felt like I was trying to run in jeans.

I updated all tables and reports and proceeded to save the file when this popped up:
You can get your magnifying glass out, but really it just says "Errors were detected while saving..."
I don't care so I press continue, and then this pops up.

Document not Saved Error

I tried a few more times with no luck, so I have this work around.

Solution

Copy and Paste.

I have a habit of saving versions of a file.  Each time I update a workbook I save as a version with that day's date in the title. This came in key here. With the current date version open I opened a prior version.

From there I copy and pasted the updated values from the file that would not save and saved the new file as a new name.  

This fix would also work if you wanted to open a blank worksheet and copy all the data over. However, if you have formatted tables in your report you would have to convert them into ranges first.

That was my fix, but have you had this problem? How have you fixed a file that wouldn't save?

No comments:

Post a Comment